General medicine is the diagnosis and non-surgical treatment of diseases of the internal organs, that focuses on adult care.
Mount Stuart Hospital treats and cares for patients who have a broad range of general medicine needs including: respiratory conditions, diabetes, liver and pancreatic illnesses, neurology, elderly care, respite and convalescence care and gastroenterology.
Our general medicine consultants have extensive experience in managing and treating patients who require general medical care. They’re supported by specialist diagnostic imaging services, a proficient nursing team, an on-site physiotherapy department with chartered physiotherapists and a fully equipped gymnasium and, consultant specialists and surgeons as required.
Some common conditions we regularly see, diagnose, manage and treat include:
- elderly care – falls, Parkinson’s disease and dementia
- rheumatology – osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
- recurrent infections - colds, sore throats, chest infections, cystitis, thrush and bacterial infections
- type II diabetes
- neurological conditions – Alzheimer’s disease, migraine, strokes and epilepsy
- respiratory – asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and obstructive sleep apnoea
- digestive disorders - acid reflux, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and inflammatory bowel disease
- endocrine conditions - under-active thyroid
- blood disorders - sickle cell disease
- some heart problems, high blood pressure and palpitations